Thursday, September 27, 2007

Advertising to Prospectives

As the interview season is starting, I'd like to say a few words about the lifestyle here. Although all my recent entries have been about classes, and of course they are important at this point in our education, I find that I can put as much time into other activities as I would like. I think my classmates range from those who are studying 100% to those who are involved in multiple activities. As for myself, I've had some good times..

I've been going to talks that I'm interested in, social medicine and scientific research. Last night, I went sailing on the Charles with some classmates. Weekends are full of activities that classmates organize, and I've gone out to many of them. Also, as part of HST, we have unlimited access to MIT resources so I went to their salsa class last week. Both Harvard and MIT have numerous mixers and socials for their graduate students. Shopping, movies, game nights (board games) have all been on my agenda at some point. And on evenings when there are no activities planned, I try to stop by a classmates room just to chat. I've found the time and motivation to practice piano 1-2 times a week, and have been reading a book for leisure in meanwhile.

Next weekend is an HST retreat, and the weekend after that is the M.D./Ph.D. retreat. Cape Cod and New Hampshire. Beautiful.

There is definitely no shortage of activities, and as long as you feel that it is important to have fun, you will. Medical school is great. Seriously. Be excited :)

2 comments:

OMDG said...

BUT! You live in a dorm right? I know some people live in their own apartment, but for me that was definitely a negative about the big H. But I'm old and used to living on my own. I can imagine that a lot of people probably really like the dorm.

DianeS said...

haha i do live in a dorm.. but you don't have to if you don't want to! i think 1/4 of the people live off campus for relatively similar prices.