Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Skulls

I haven't written in here for a while mainly because every time I feel like I have something to share, I realize that it is unbelievably nerdy and no one would possibly interested except for me. Well, no, I think some things would be interesting to share, but a weblog would not do them justice.

What is neat though is what's sitting on the table in front of me right now. A real human skull. There's something creepily satisfying about it being midnight right now and having a dead person's head in front of me. Every person in our class has one on loan for the semester. It costs several thousand dollars, and is as real as can be. The funny thing is, I was carrying it in its box a few days ago when a random person stopped me to ask what was in my black box. I hesitated a moment before saying truthfully "a skull." They stared a moment, then gave a knowing smile, replying "human? ..haha, i'm just kidding.." Before I could reply, they had already walked off, snickering at the good joke between us.

4 comments:

R said...

Wait, you get to bring them back to your apartment?

Hmmm... I understand that they may want you to be able to study the skull in your time away from class, but that seems like more novelty than utility to me. It seems just as easy to have them in your study area at school.

SunshinyDianmond said...

i think it's more about us being responsible for a skull instead of having them sitting out for any careless person to pick up.

Anonymous said...

hmmm diane.. that's kinda scary.. maybe that's why i don't want to become a doctor like you. lol.

Anonymous said...

I got the exact same question when I was in the hospital elevator. But I didn't quite hesitate so the person may have gotten a little creeped out...