Saturday, September 15, 2007

Scientific Personality

The other day a classmate and I were discussing whether or not scientific writing left any room for personality. He felt that all the data presentation was very dry, but I feel very strongly that the personality of the scientist really shows through. When I read papers by the people I know well, the document reads with a feeling that they are right there talking to me about the work. Then there's always the discussion and conclusion where some scientists take the time to entertain their readers with speculation or engaging comment.

A recent class required reading some scientific articles about taste receptors. The manuscript ended with the line "and in a small but significant way, we may eliminate bitterness from the world."

Just now, I was reading our genetics text, and under one complicated case for calculation, it printed, "Only a masochist would attempt this without a computational aid."

Ah, those writers. Humor is still appreciated even in the thick of science.

No comments: